Ms. Karnika Seth
B.A (Eng. Hons.), LL.B(University of Delhi)
LL.M (King’s College, University of London)
PGD (Internet Laws), Attorney at Law
Founding Partner & Head, Corporate & Cyber Laws Practice
Chairperson, Lex Cyberia
Karnika Seth is an internationally renowned Cyber law expert & the Founder Partner at Seth Associates. Ms Seth is also the Chairperson of Lex Cyberia at Seth Associates, the World’s first integrated cyber laws research, forensics and legal consulting centre.Ms. Seth has been consistently ranked by global business community as top notch cyber lawyer, an IT Expert & a prolific Author& Educator. Her contribution to growth & development of cyber laws internationally and in India is widely acknowledged in the corporate world and by International organisations. She has been empanelled as a member of the Working Group of International Corporation for Assigned Names &Numbers (ICANN) formed to design the Policy framework impacting global domain registration services.She contributes to various Working Group Consultations and ICANN discussion forums aimed at designing policies for Next Generation Internet. In 2013, she was appointed as legal expert to represent Indian Government in the Expert Panel formed to advise on objections to ICANN’s suggested new gTLDs. She is part of Expert Panel of UNICEF working on children safety in the online world and actively associates with International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (ICMEC) in its Think Tanks & cyber awareness activities in India. She is also associated with the International Telecommunication Union’s initiatives and is a member of the Global Cyber security Forum.Her expert views on cyber safety have been solicited by United Nation’s International organisations and also by the Parliament and the Ministry of Information Technology for strengthening the cyber laws in India. She is empanelled as legal expert to advise National Internet Exchange of India and represents the Office of Comptroller of Certifying Authorities constituted under the IT Act, 2000.
Ms. Seth practices law at the Supreme Court of India and is principal legal advisor to many multinational groups and government entities. She has actively resolved many Cyber crime cases in conjunction with the law enforcement authorities in India. Ms. Seth’s book titled ‘Computers, Internet and New Technology Laws’ published by Lexis Nexis Butterworths elucidates the key developments in the field of Cyber laws across many important jurisdictions, India, United States and European nations. Ms. Seth was conferred the Law Day Award from the Chief Justice of India for authoring the comprehensive reference book in 2012. She received the Digital Empowerment Award for the year 2015 from the Government of India and the Law Day Award in 2015 for authoring the book, Protection of Children on Internet. She is also an Expert IT law Educator& Trainer to law enforcement authorities in India and regularly contributes her views on the subject in conferences, print & electronic media and television.
While cyber law is her core specialisation, Ms. Karnika Seth has diverse transactional experience, encompassing joint ventures, foreign collaborations, and franchising and Intellectual property rights. She has acted as legal advisor to reputed multinational companies in negotiating and finalizing various business and commercial arrangements and advised the on projects for launch of products and services in the Indian Market. Ms. Seth’s area of expertise also covers International Commercial Arbitration, International Trade,Banking and Anti-dumping Laws. She graduated in Masters in Law from Kings College, University of London.
- Cyber Laws
- Corporate & Commercial Law
- International Trade Law
- Antidumping laws
- Launch of products & services
- Food & Drugs laws
- Agency and Distribution
- Intellectual Property Law
- International Commercial Arbitration & ADR
- Advisor to a Swiss company hosting a social networking site for Cyberlaw India compliance issues.
- Successfully represented an Indian exporter in a domain name dispute before World Intellectual Property Organization -an ICANN dispute resolution policy matter.
- Acted for the Escorts Group in a cybercrime investigation matter before Indian courts
- Successfully represented a 100% EOU in an International Commercial arbitration before the International Chambers of Commerce, Paris held in Zurich.
- Advisor to renowned marketing company based in U.K to market their consumer incentives & promotional products & services in India
- Representing Chinese exporters in Antidumping Investigation cases of plastic processing machinery, Radial tyres, Penicillin G, DTPC, (all exported from China PR) before the Directorate General Of Anti-dumping, India .
- successfully incorporated companies in India for entities based in America, U.k, Sweden, Slovakia, France, and other parts of the world
- legal advisor to multi national beverage companies based in Netherlands, Vienna, Liechtenstein and USA for launch of their products in the Indian market.
- Member , ITU , India
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of the Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Member, Supreme Court of India Bar Association
- Panel Expert, Nitron circle of experts
- Member, International Association of IT lawyers
- Member of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry
- Member of the International Editorial Advisory Board of ‘International Journal of Cyber Crime and Criminal Justice
- Member of British Council Alumni Association India.
- Member of the Indian Council of Arbitration
RECENT SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Cyber awareness workshop for FIRE, Faculty Development, BITS Pilani,India, 26 June 2016
- Protecting children on Internet, workshop for FIRE, 5 June 2016
- Expert meet,UNICEF,8 April,2016
- Protecting children online, Expert meeting of UNICEF, 8 Feb 2016, Delhi
- Explaining the IT Act,2000 , IIM Indore, 14 Jan 2016
- DICE, War against Digital crime,18 Dec 2015,Habitat, Delhi
- National Women Police Conference, Kerela Police, 23 Nov 2015
- 10th cybercrime awareness workshop, Data Security Council of India with Kerala Police Academy, 29 May 2015
- Cybercrime law, Electronic Evidence & civil liability under IT Act in India, Jharkhand Judicial Academy, 30 April,2015
- National Law Day, Topic of the Article: IT Act,2000, Venue: Indian National Bar Association, 26 Nov 2015
Ms Karnika Seth, Cyber lawyer & Partner, Seth Associates regularly contributes her expert views on current legal issues particularly related to Cyber Laws and Intellectual Property Rights. She recently spoke on cyber law issue of Internet censorship in India & China and Consumer Protection laws in a series of panel discussions broadcasted by various Television channels including CNN IBN and NDTV
- Better safe than Sorry, The Hindu, 1 July 2016
- Protect our kids from trolls,The Deccan Chronicle , 28 June ,2016
- Karnika seth of FIRE imparts cyberawareness training at BITS Pilani, 25-June-2016
- Key to cybersecurity, Be attentive, 22 June 2016, Deccan Herald
- Introducing safety apps for women, Lok Sabha Tv, 4 june 2016
- Cybersecurity for Kids, Asian Age, June 2016
- Online frauds and cybercrime, CNN 21 May 2016
- Draft Geospatial Bill criticised by cyber experts, The Wire.in, 8 May 2016
- Selfies is anything wrong? Cnnibn, 2 may 2016
- Defamation through internet, 19 March 2016 , ABP news
Authored chapter on product liability law in India
- Authored Book on Protection of Children on Internet, Universal Law publishers , 2015
Overview of cyberlaws, Karnika Seth, Annual Survey of Indian law, 2013
Latest trends in cyberlaw-India needs to sign a Cybercrime Convention,Interview with SME Times,18Jan 2014
- Authored Chapter on Product liability in India- International Legal Comparative Guide , 2013
- Authored a comprehensive book titled " Computers, Internet and New Technology Laws" published by Butterworths Lexisnexis in 2012 . The book received the Law Day Award from the Hon'ble Chief Justice of India and the Hon'ble Law Minister .
Chapter on developments in field of IT and cyberlaws during 2011,Annual Survey of Indian law,Indian Law Institute( 2012).
Paper titled “Evolving Strategies For The Enforcement Of Cyberlaws”, High Level Consultation Meeting for formulation of a National Policy and Action plan for Enforcement of Cyberlaw , New Delhi,31, Jan 2010
- Paper titled “IT Act, 2000 v IT Act, 2008 - Implementation, Challenges, and the Role of Adjudicating Officers”, National Seminar on Enforcement of Cyberlaw , New Delhi , 8th May 2010
- Paper titled “Enforcement Of Cyberlaws In India” presented at the National Seminar on Detection Of Cybercrimes ,Hyderabad , 28 June 2010