Dr. Karnika Seth
B.A (Eng. Hons.), LL.B(University of Delhi)
LL.M (King’s College, University of London)
Ph.D.(Cyber laws), Attorney at Law
Founding Partner & Head, Corporate & Cyber Laws Practice
Chairperson, Lex Cyberia
Dr. Karnika Seth is an Internationally renowned cyber law expert & is the Founding Partner at Seth Associates. Dr. Seth is also the Chairperson of Lex Cyberia at Seth Associates, the World’s first integrated cyberlaws research, forensics and legal consulting centre. Dr. Seth has been consistently ranked by global business community as topnotch cyberlawyer, an IT Expert & a prolific author, policymaker & educator. Her contribution to growth & development of cyberlaws internationally and in India is widely acknowledged in the corporate world and by International organisations. She has been empanelled as a member of the Working Group of International Corporation for Assigned Names &Numbers (ICANN) formed to design the Policy framework impacting global domain registration services. She is also the India representative at the Working Group Consultations and ICANN discussion forums. She is part of expert panel of UNICEF working on children safety in the online world and actively associates with International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (ICMEC) in its cyberawareness activities in India. She is also associated with the International Telecommunication Union’s initiatives and is a member of the global cybersecurity forum. Her expert views on cyber safety have been solicited by United Nations’s International organisations and also by the Parliament and the Ministry of Information Technology for strengthening the cyberlaws in India. She has spoken at more than 1000 seminars, conferences and workshops and has authored several books, e-books,white papers, legal toolkits, policy documents andrecommendations for reforming cyberlaws in the country. She is empanelled as legal expert to advise National Internet Exchange of India and represents the Office of Comptroller of Certifying Authorities constituted under the IT Act, 2000.In 2013, she was appointed as legal expert to represent Indian Government in the panel formed to advise on objections to ICANN’s suggested new gTLDs.She has been consulted by the University Grants Commission of India, IGNOU, National Law school, India and other reputed educational institutions for formulation of cyber law education courses in India.
Dr. Seth practices law at the Supreme Court of India and is principal legal advisor to many multinational groups and government entities. She has actively resolved many Cyber crime cases in conjunction with the law enforcement authorities in India. Dr. Seth’s book titled ‘Computers, Internet and New Technology Laws’ published by Lexis Nexis Butterworths elucidates the key developments in the field of Cyberlaws across many important jurisdictions, India, United States and European nations. Dr. Seth was conferred the Law Day Award from the Chief Justice of India for authoring this comprehensive reference work. She received the Digital Empowerment Award for the year 2015 from the Government of India for authoring the book, Protection of Children on Internet and the law Day Award 2015 from the Chief Justice of India. In 2017, Dr. Seth was conferred the National Gaurav Award for exemplary contribution to the field of cyberlaws in India. She is also an expert trainer to law enforcement authorities in India and abroad and regularly contributes her views on the subjects in conferences, print & electronic media and television.
While cyberlaw is her core specialisation, Dr. Karnika Seth has diverse transactional experience, encompassing joint ventures, foreign collaborations, franchising and Intellectual property rights. She has acted as legal advisor to reputed multinational companies in negotiating and finalizing various business and commercial arrangements and advised the on projects for launch of products and services in the Indian Market. Dr. Seth’s area of expertise also covers International Commercial Arbitration, International Trade ,Banking,and Anti-dumping Laws. She graduated in Masters in Law from Kings College, University of London. She attained her doctorate degree in cyberlaw (Ph.D.) from NIU in 2017.
- Cyber Laws
- Corporate & Commercial Law
- International Trade Law
- Antidumping laws
- Launch of products & services
- Food & Drugs laws
- Agency and Distribution
- Intellectual Property Law
- International Commercial Arbitration & ADR
- Advisor to a Swiss company hosting a social networking site for Cyberlaw India compliance issues.
- Successfully represented an Indian exporter in a domain name dispute before World Intellectual Property Organization -an ICANN dispute resolution policy matter.
- Acted for the Escorts Group in a cybercrime investigation matter before Indian courts
- Successfully represented a 100% EOU in an International Commercial arbitration before the International Chambers of Commerce, Paris held in Zurich.
- Advisor to renowned marketing company based in U.K to market their consumer incentives & promotional products & services in India
- Representing Chinese exporters in Antidumping Investigation cases of plastic processing machinery, Radial tyres, Penicillin G, DTPC, (all exported from China PR) before the Directorate General Of Anti-dumping, India .
- successfully incorporated companies in India for entities based in America, U.k, Sweden, Slovakia, France, and other parts of the world
- legal advisor to multi national beverage companies based in Netherlands, Vienna, Liechtenstein and USA for launch of their products in the Indian market.
- Member , ITU , India
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of the Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Member, Supreme Court of India Bar Association
- Panel Expert, Nitron circle of experts
- Member, International Association of IT lawyers
- Member of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry
- Member of the International Editorial Advisory Board of ‘International Journal of Cyber Crime and Criminal Justice
- Member of British Council Alumni Association India.
- Member of the Indian Council of Arbitration
RECENT SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Swach Soch Swach Bharat, Newsworld India, 25 Nov,2017
- GCCS 2017,India,Digital India Government conference, 21 Nov,2017
- Compuada,Women& cybercrime, Miranda House, 10 Oct 2017
- Training in cybercrimes, IRS officers, NIU, Delhi, 22 Sept,2017
- Training of senior Police officers in prevention and investigation of online sexual abuse of children, BPR&D, 12 Sept ,2017
- Online safety summit, She the people, Aug 4,2017
- Securing Cyberspace 2017, Cyber peace foundation conference, Delhi,14-15 July 2017
- Session on cybercrimes against women in cyberspace 2017, Delhi conference
- The online child safety meet, Foundation, Mumbai, 5 May 2017
- Talk on cybercrimes and electronic evidence for Supreme court lawyers, April,2017
Ms Karnika Seth, Cyber lawyer & Partner, Seth Associates regularly contributes her expert views on current legal issues particularly related to Cyber Laws and Intellectual Property Rights. She recently spoke on cyber law issue of Internet censorship in India & China and Consumer Protection laws in a series of panel discussions broadcasted by various Television channels including CNN IBN and NDTV
- Cambridge Analytica: RaGa attacks BJP for data theft; is Congress saving face or its just politics? | NewsX | 28 March 2018
- Blame Game Between Congress And BJP On Data Privacy | NDTV | 26 March 2018
- The Big Picture - Facebook & Data Mischief | Rajya Sabha TV | 23 March 2018
- NewsX gets you the Data experiment live; original 'Cambridge Analytica' | NewsX | 22 March 2018
- The selfie trend and the law ? | Cyber Law India
- Cyber Safety for Women | Cyber Law India | Karnika Seth
- Whatsappcrashed ,Newsx 3 Nov,2017
- Blue whale story, NDTV, 3Nov,2017
- Blue whale challenge, newsnation
- Hacking of data,Lok Sabha tv,5oct 2017
- Safeguard your e-house, India legal 2017
- Existing Lacunae in the Information Technology Act, 2000 & Regulations Framed thereunder & Cyberlaw Enforcement in India, 2014
- Protecting copyrights in Cyberspace, 2013, Law Faculty Conference on IPR, Delhi University
- Authored second edition of Computers, Internet & New Technology laws, Lexis nexis, second edition 2016
- Authored first updated edition of Computers, Internet & New technology laws, Lexis nexis, 2013
- Focus on capacity building, Karnika Seth, Deccan herald, 25Dec 2016
- Strengthening Intellectual Property Regime In Digital India
- What did apple say to the skeleton key, outlook, 21 march 2016
- Netneutrality is the oxygen of internet, SMETIMES, (April 2015)
Overview of cyberlaw (2015) - Annual Survey of Indian Law- Volume 50 (2014)